Chatbots are emerging faster and are being implemented everywhere, especially in the business world. What sets them apart is their ability to interact with real humans, the ability to act smarter. If your brand is going to launch an AI chatbot soon and you are still not sure how to make your chatbot ‘smarter’, a few things are to be focused upon:
Deciding the Model
Every chatbot has a purpose. The smartness will be defined here as the ability to solve that purpose like a champion. Therefore, to get started, figure out what model will suit your chatbot. There are four models you can pick from:
- Retrieval-based open domain, which is almost impossible to develop at present. If developed, it will be able to talk just as a normal human do. It will be able to comprehend everything, whether in its scope or not. As such bot will need too complex coding, infinitely large knowledge base, and multiple advanced learning algorithms, their implementation is neither feasible nor required for businesses.
- Generative-based open domain, it will be the hardest AI chatbot to develop and will be able to handle users from multiple domains.
- Retrieval-based closed domain AI solutions are rule-based programs. Developers hard-code the responses, which are conveyed to end-users. Its scope is limited and hence, such bots are the easiest to develop and implement.
- Generative-based closed domain chatbots are the smart machines, proficient in a particular domain. It’s most commonly used by businesses at present.
Now sit back and think for a while. What your chatbot should be capable of doing?
If you, for an example, are going to use it for ticket booking and nothing else, a small machine or even a rules-based AI chatbot will be enough. On the contrary, if your chatbot is going to talk on general topics with your users and belongs to open domain, a General AI is what you want. Hence, ‘smarter’ has different definitions in different contexts. Also understand that there is no ‘smartness’ in building an open-domain chatterbot to respond to closed-domain queries, because of difference in the cost of implementation. So, it is good to decide the chatbot development framework according to the scope.
The Properties, which enable your ChatBot to be smarter:
Intelligence quotient of your chatbot can be increased if you focus on a few factors, as enlisted:
- Human-like Approach
To deliver the best user experience to the end-users, your chatbot needs to talk like a real human. Its NLP abilities should help it create simpler, easy to understand and meaningful sentences which your customers could comprehend.
- Predictive Operations
Suppose a customer asks if he or she could place an order for all the pasta-related ingredients you are selling, the chatbot should come up with the list of relevant items and their prices and not with the nearby restaurants as the customer doesn’t look interested in eating out here.
The point is: Build your chatbot to perform as the customer expects it to.
- Life-long Learning
It’s essential. Just as the learning never ends for the real humans, it shouldn’t end for your chatbot as it imitates them. With new queries and responses, your programmed solution should be able to perform better and solve users’ issues more effectively.
Users are diverse. They have a hundred ways of saying the same thing. A customer may say ‘I live in New Delhi’, another may come up with ‘I reside in New Delhi’ and next one could puzzle your chatbot with ‘My home is in New Delhi’. In such scenario, your chatbot should be able to revert back with same or coherently similar responses without getting into trouble.
We generally like to visualize the face or persona of a human, to which we talk. Without that in the mind, communications look less ‘human’. Here is a catch. Why not give your chatbot a face or image, which your customers or users could connect to. If you add speaking capabilities to it, the voice should match its persona. The text should, too, feel relevant to your bot’s persona.
- Use of Emojis
That’s totally up to you whether you want to add emoji’s to the conversation or not. But ask a few questions to yourself:
- If a human representative will be using emojis, if made to reply to this specific text?
- Are emojis good for your brand to use? Do they suit your brand?
- Do they make conversations more look real or not?
As per the answers you’ve found, decide whether or not to use emojis.
At the same time, do not go too far with these cute little emotion-carriers. Use them in moderation. Overuse or wrong use could land you in trouble, as it worsens the user experience.
Tips to Enhance Your Chatbot’s Performance
As you are aware of the traits, your chatbot’s development practices could now be planned efficiently. To add the icing on the cake, we’ve thought of giving a few more suggestions to help you improve the user experience of your bot:
- Make it sound like your Brand, though not too promotional. It should have your marketing copies, deals to offer, tagline, information about your brand and other such details to build an ascent which could represent you in real.
- Read conversations which happen between your users and chatbot. It will help you improve your development approach and bot’s knowledge base. Using the chat data to create insights, you can enhance the performance of the bot to multiple times.
- To improve your chatbot’s efficiency and intelligence, keep it task-Focused. Adding the out-of-scope modules will increase the size of its knowledge base and will not be feasible.
- Deliver ‘Complete help’. Let’s say your users want help throughout the purchase process. Sending the link to the product page of his desired product and not showing up on the check out page will reduce the usefulness of your bot. At the same time, it complexifies the things for your customers. So always focus on building complete solutions, which fulfills the purpose without failing.
- UI and UX Design should be familiar and easy to understand. Do not add too many complex words or not-explained options on the user interface, as it confused the users only. Think from their perspective and keep the design elements to be minimal. It will increase the user engagement definitely.
The Overview: Emphasize on the Sense-think-act Cycle
All chatbots follow a 3-step process to operate, which is:
- Sense, what the requirement is.
- Think, how to provide the optimal solution for the arrived query
- Act, to help the end-user in the best possible way.
By focusing on every step and enabling your chatbot to perform smartly at each of these steps will automatically make your chatbot smart and likable.
At Techechelons, we build the quality and intelligent chatbots, while our developers utilizing the best coding approaches. We integrate the above-listed qualities in our chatbots so that it could deliver the best and human-like experience during their interaction with end-users. Our team has mastered at testing the existing and newly-developed chatbots, whether developed by us on someone else. Reach out to us, whenever willing to use our top-notch level chatbot development and testing services.