In Spain, Robotic tutors are already being tested while Accenture is expecting the healthcare sector to save $150 million a year within the US alone.
From above, one thing is clear – artificial intelligence is going to take over the world, and every industry. Self-aware robots teaching the kids in the classroom or operating a patient’s body may look weird at present, but they will actually be not.
Are you thinking where (and where) AI applications may end human invention very soon?
Let’s dig a bit deeper to understand that:
Current presence of AI in education sector
Learning has already come to iPads, mobiles, and laptops from the teacher-classroom scenario. There are many AI-enabled machines or software, which are benefitting the education sector at present.
To detail you with a few, here is a quick list –
- Content Technologies Inc. is utilizing the AI to deliver customized books to its users, through a mixed approach that uses deep learning and AI.
- Personalized learning, an initiative by Bill Gates, offers the students to learn through the individual lesson plans as per their performance in previous phases. So, it is more like the one-to-one coaching and Gates has invested around $240 million in this field yet.
- Education Data Mining, or EDM, is being used at several places to track and analyze the behavior of students, take attendance, assignment collection. Through that, the EDM figures out if the student is timely (and thus interested) in the studies or not. That’s an initiative to prevent the students from abandoning their studies.
- iTalk2Learn system is designed to find out the emotional state of students, teach them basic maths, give them the feedback as per their performance.
There are many other known-unknown implementations of AI that are present in the education field yet. But the above examples are just the beginnings. Check out what may happen by using AI in enhancing the learning (in the next section).
Future feet of artificial intelligence in education sector – the possible applications!
AI will enable everyone to learn, for the whole of their life and whenever they want; it will not be restricted to the class only. See, we are expecting from AI for the education sector:
- AI applications can perform the basic tasks like grading, attendance and timetable making – it means every side-task, which teachers have to do, can be given to machines to improve the education level by allowing teachers to read more.
- This one is most fascinating. Imagine each of us having a virtual mentor. Lesser mistakes, right? The AI tutors will surely solve many problems by helping us in decision-making. And guess what; their statistics will be more precise than your imagination.
- You may find the robots, checking the classroom’s environment to detect issues such as temperature, pollution, etc.
- Consider your class isn’t performing well in certain areas. Through the analytics data, AI can catch it early and help you resolve the issue. Wouldn’t it be a great help?
- What if you implement artificial intelligence to perform course analysis by comparing it will other similar curriculums, in order to detect the area where you can improve it?
- Consulting students from making career choices. Well, these AI machines will have whole behavior and academic performance data about the students along with an excellent database of professions.
- The way of finding information will not remain as complex (and boring) as it currently is. AI will allow easy and hence, effective, interactive with the data for every learner.
- The interest will be to see the teachers. They will probably tackle the AI tutors, train them, and see if any student needs further assistance.
- How bad it feels when you fail? Standing in front of the teacher may seem paralyzing and intimidating, but what if you have to confront non-human equipment who is able to guide you for further enhancement in performance. Burden lessened?
- AI can also be used in teacher training and with its data-powered mechanism, it will be self-sufficient.
- Did you hear ‘learning shouldn’t be limited to age’?
Well, forget the saying and see it around you… how many 30+ can take admission in the school and sail without difficulties?
Looks problematic! Obviously – job, chores to do, and probable embarrassment won’t let them enter back in the school. But with AI, this age-based limitation can surely end. So, you can expect 100% literacy without wondering at all.
AI’s revolutionary uses in healthcare sector – the present
Just as education, healthcare is another core domain. To improve the practices, we need better and intelligent machines. Two things of utter importance here:
- Precision is precious in healthcare
- To error is human
Agree with both?
This contrasting condition can be improved by adding more machines (the intelligent ones). Currently, the healthcare and medicine sector is enjoying the AI superpowers in the following areas:
- Alzheimer’s and depression detection with 82% or more precision, from a person’s voice only.
- Blood sampling
- For reading CT scans
- Generating X-ray medical reports
- In diagnosis and identification of lesions
- In heartbeat monitoring
- Exercise assistance
Future of AI in the healthcare sector
The further changes, AI may bring to life are:
- Changes in the workforce
- Medical training
- The reach of facilities
- Advancement in image diagnosis
- Virtual health assistants
- Advanced health research
- Life coaches and medical care bots
- Clinical and administrative task handling
You can expect more and more non-human creatures, joining the doctors to strengthen the medical workforces.
Robots, assisting the human experts or completely robotic surgery, will be the reality.
To train medical students, AI can play a big role.
Remote areas aren’t getting good medical facilities at present. The reason is lack of good local doctor and equipment, along with the talented doctors, not willing to serve in far areas. Robots won’t be that choosy.
X-rays, CT scans, blood group detection, and many other medical operations are already using the AI-enabled advanced methods of image diagnosis. In the future, it will spread further to open the ways for the automation of other image processing tasks too.
From nursing to medicine dosage assistance, the task of patient care can be given to robots.
More machines arising in the healthcare sector will allow better research opportunities to the experts and hence, better cures for the diseases.
With intelligent life coaches, the health condition and lifestyle of people will take a better turn. Imagine the bots telling you that you have already eaten enough calories for today! Having a medical advisor with you all the time may look restricting but it can increase the average lifetime in the coming years.
Telling patients about their turn, calculation of bills, assigning wards, making the doctors’ schedule, and many other tasks can be automated through the use of AI.
Future or unexpected, whatever you call it. Artificial intelligence is all set to leave deep imprints on education, healthcare, and all other sectors already. What are you expecting from it? Don’t forget to tell it. Just comment.